Drink Water To Prevent Falls
- Be sure to use the toilet on a regular basis to prevent rushing to the bathroom.
Take Care Of Your Feet So You Can Stay Active
- Keep feet clean and dry
- Cut your nails
- Check for Bunions, Corns, Calluses and Warts.
- If you have trouble bending over, use a mirror to help see your feet.
Stand Up Slowly To Prevent Light Headedness and a Possible Fall
- Get up slowly when getting out of bed in the morning. Dangle your legs over the side of the bed for a few moments before standing up.
Keep Your Bones Strong-Prevent Osteoporosis
Osteoporosis is a condition that causes bones to become weak and more likely to break during a fall. Luckily you can keep your bones strong by:
- Eat a balanced diet rich in calcium & Vitamin D
- Get regular physical activity
- Don't smoke & limit alcohol use
Sensation Is Important To Your Independence
Sensation is the ability to feel things. You can prevent sensation loss by:
- Staying active
- Monitoring your diet and regulating your blood sugar
- If you experience sensation loss, notify your doctor as soon as possible.
Don't Ignore Dizziness, Vertigo, or Loss of Balance
- When you're dizzy, you may feel lightheaded or lose your balance. If this is the case, see your doctor.
- If you feel that the room is spinning, you have vertigo. If this is the case, see an ENT (Ear, Nose, Throat doctor) or a vestibular rehab specialist.
Pain Is Your Body's Way of Communicating To You
Listen to your pain and make things easier on your body by doing these things when you experience pain:
- Use a cane, walker, and handrails when you have increased pain in your legs
- Avoid stairs or excessive walking
- If an activity hurts, try to limit that activity
However, don't let minor pain be an excuse to not be active. See your doctor and work together to get rid of the pain.